Saturday, April 5, 2008

Triage visit

I thought my water was leaking after I soaked thru twice in 1.5 hrs. I also got really sick this morning after eating breakfast. So called the on-call Dr and he said to come in even though contractions were not consistent. We get our stuff together in the car and head out. We are in no hurry since I called and the birthing center is full and I will be going to L & D. We stopped to get some stuff we forgot and some lunch. So we get to the hospital and get checked in. The take us to triage. They are not happy to see me and say we will take her in a disgusted tone.

The nurse finally comes over and asks me what is going on. I tell her I think my water is leaking and she says everyone thinks their water is leaking today. Not off to a very good start. She hooks me up to the monitors and then the fun starts. Cletus is doing great and looks good. I am having contractions that are 3 min apart and going up to 75 on the chart. Rich is all about the monitors and the numbers. He keeps talking about how big they are getting and how long they are lasting. Eventually I have to tell him to stop because I obviously can tell they are getting more intense and don't need him to tell me.

At the time we are in triage the cleaning crew is there doing their thing. We have to wait until they are done before we can go in the exam room. Finally I get in there. I should have run away at this point. The nurse comes in and says she is going to swab for fluid and then check me. I have had so many exams at this point in the journey and have had many different people examine me. This nurse was the absolute worst in history. The speculum hurt going in to do the swab for fluid. Turns out it is not water just a bunch of end of pregnancy stuff. This was pretty uncomfortable, but the worst is yet to come. She says she is going to check me. I think she put her whole arm up there. I actually raised off the table and was breathing like I had a horrible contraction. About this time another nurse actually walked in to try and talk to the nurse with her arm up me. There was good news though. I am 2 cm now and 50% effaced. Needless to say I told Rich I refuse to go back to triage ever again. I was absolutely appaled and the way she checked me. Both of the Drs in the practice I go to have checked me and neither one of them were as rough and painful as she was today. Actually both of them were pretty normal compared to today.

So we are still here waiting at home for Cletus to decide it is time to come out. Now I know that my water is not leaking though. No more going to triage for me.


MrsSpock said...

Whoa- sorry you got Nurse Bitch. I swear most of us aren't like that! I am totally with you on triage, though. I'm planning on staying home as long as I can, and calling in the doula for a 2nd opinion before heading out.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you got treated like that! I don't blame you on not wanting to go back. Woohoo on being 2cm dilated! Can't wait to meet the little guy :)


Devon said...

Jenn sorry that was not fun for you. I wonder if you got the same nurse that I had.