Tuesday, December 11, 2007

It's a Boy

Hello, Rich here, it has been a while since I have posted. I know everyone already knows Cletus is a boy, but I haven't shared my point of view. The ultrasound was again really cool. We got to see Cletus again which is always fun and exciting. We were able to see internal organs like kidneys and we saw his spine, hands, fingers, fingernails (he has finger nails already! Hopefully he doesn't get my bad habit of tearing them off.). So anyway, we go through all the measurements, head size, femur bone, humerus bone, etc... and then finally she says do you want to know the gender (after it is already frozen on the screen so good thing we said yes to that). And the tech said, there's your answer. It was exciting to find out, but there was no celebration or relief on my part. I was truly indifferent with a girl or a boy, so there was the excitement of finding out, but no lift or let down because of the baby's gender. I guess it was a disappointment to Jennifer that I didn't show more excitement. As days go by, I think of more and more things that would be father-son activities and I get excited looking forward to those times. Much of my thoughts have reflected on special memories I have of my Dad when I was a kid and I can't wait to be on the other side of those same kinds of moments with Cletus. I also think of things like some of the scenes in Dan in Re.al Li.fe that make me relieved the baby is not a girl. I would be 100% lost trying to deal with that kind of emotion and crazy logic. Hopefully it was exaggerated for the sake of the movie.

In more exciting news than finding out the gender, I actually felt Cletus kicking last night. Jennifer had been telling me for the past couple of days she could feel him on the outside with her hand, but every time she told me about him kicking and I rushed over to try and feel it, he would stop. Last night though I just laid in bed, resting my hand in place, patiently waiting. That's when it happened. It was so cool, it made me feel a stronger connection to him. As if we had our first interaction or something. But every time something exciting happens like an ultrasound or feeling him kick, I get impatient and want him to come out into the world now. I'm normally a very patient person, but not with this.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Congrats on feeling the kicking! It's been the funnest thing so far for me. I'm sure the birth will top it but for now it's the best feeling in the world! I'm sure you both will enjoy watching him roll around later on in the pregnancy.