Thursday, September 20, 2007

Ultrasounds

This is a message for the guys, because obviously the women have to be there. Go to the ultrasounds! The world is full of amazing things. I am an electrical engineer. I have learned about and often been in the presence of very high tech, very sophisticated, very amazing technology. I have been to a plant where they bend steel for roller coasters, I have been to conferences where companies present the latest in radiology equipment, I have seen robots that can automatically tell what region of the world coffee was grown in, I have even worked on research projects I can't talk about. I have swam in the crystal clear waters of the Caribbean, been on a ship surrounded by water as far as the eye can see, stood on the rim of the grand canyon, climbed to the top of the second highest peak in New Mexico, above the tree line, where there was snow in August. I have peered into the star filled heavens from the pitch black of the Canadian wilderness. I mention these things, not to brag, but to give context. Despite all these wondrous sights, and the feelings of awe that fill you when you experience them, none of them come close to equaling the feeling you get when you see your baby, its heartbeat, its head, its arms, its feet, and even see it move. I missed the heartbeat the first time Jennifer was pregnant and by the next appointment it was gone. She tried to convey to me how amazing it was, but you don't get it until you are there. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. I didn't want the appointment to end. And I can't wait to see more. I know sometimes it is not an option, for one reason or another you can't always go. But if it is an option, do it. You have never seen anything more touching or more amazing in your life.

No comments: