Friday, August 10, 2007

Decisions, Decisions

As some of you know I have already e-mailed you about this issue, I have a big decision to make this weekend. I have been offered a position at a bigger, national known company. I don’t believe that anyone here at my work knows about this blog, but I will be speaking generally anyway.

Right now I have to bill for my hours. I have to account for every minute of my day. Let me tell you it is a big PITA. I am also reprimanded constantly because I work too fast & don’t bill enough. Lately that hasn’t been a problem, but it was for a couple years. Every month I would get a “gentle” reminder about it. It actually got to be a joke, but no one else ever got them. Anyway that is a big stress with my current job that the new place wouldn’t have.

So thanks to one of my research buddies :-), the benefits at this new place are tremendous. Lac.tation rooms, day ca.re discounts, 401K, pension, more paid holidays. I will get 3 wks vacation to start since that is what I would get after working here 5 yrs anyway. I can buy extra vacation too.

I also came out & told them about the pregnancy. They were very nice about it. Told me it did not factor into the decision. They told me I wouldn’t have to move the boxes around either. They just moved. So Dr appts are not going to be a problem either.

So what is the decision you might ask? Well I am torn. Is this really the right time? Do I need to bring another change into my life? What if this pregnancy doesn’t work out? Will I still have time off to recover? Or maybe this is my chance to start with a fresh, clean slate. A new job & a baby on the way aren’t a bad way to start out. Maybe it’s like I told Rich this morning, maybe this is the start of good things for us. Maybe the past 5 yrs of crap are going to be worth it in the end.

The consensus so far from my e-mail buddies are all for it. Any comments are welcome.

3 comments:

Jason said...

I'm guessing that Devon has already given her opinion, but I would say Go For It!

Kristen said...

Congratulations on the new job and the new pregnancy!

I would say to go for it as well. This new job sounds like a godsend and if they are not concerned about the pregnancy, I'm sure if something happened and you needed time off, they would be understanding as well.

I see this as a new beginning for you. I wish you nothing but the best. Let us know what you decide!

Anonymous said...

Jenn, I'm so happy for you and Rich. I know you are already made your decision, but had I read this a few weeks ago, i would have said go for it and it's not just because I have had bad experiences in the same way you have, it is because you don't need that kind of ugly stress while you are pregnant. The kind of stress at a new job will be positive stress. I think you are giving a gift to yourself, your husband and your future child by moving on. I'm proud of you because I know how hard you worked and I know how little appreciation you received. The sad truth is, unhappy don't have the motivation to change and take risks so they stay miserable. Happy people know better!!