Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Shooting Stars

Do you believe in wishing on shooting stars? For most of 2005/2006 I was traveling a lot for work. Sometimes I would fly, but many of the closer trips I would drive. One particular trip, I was leaving home, driving to Pittsburgh, having a meeting in Pittsburgh, then heading to Cleveland for a meeting and then finally on to Detroit for two more meetings. This was the start of a November in which I would travel to 11 different places. Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Birmingham, St. Louis, Honolulu, Washington D.C., a small town in Wisconsin, and I can’t even remember the rest. Yes, I said Honolulu, and guess what? You know timing is everything during a cycle so I ended up flying in to Honolulu at 5:00PM one day and flying out at 5:00PM the next. I know it is crazy, but I didn’t want to be away if I was needed at home, for now it still takes two to make a baby. Anyway, I left home Halloween night for my early morning meeting in Pittsburgh. So about 10:00PM I think it was I started out driving through the night. I had loaded up on coffee and had a giant bag of jolly ranchers in the seat next to me so I was good to go. I don’t miss the traveling at all, but occasionally some quiet time away from the office where the biggest decision I had to make was where to eat or when to stop for the restroom was welcome. It was a nice drive, little traffic, and very dark. Spending hours alone in the car gives you lots of time to think about things and reflect. I thought a lot about all we had been through with IF and wondered when would be our turn. As I drove through the hills somewhere in West Virginia or Pennsylvania, it happened. I was driving down one of those long straight roads along the side of a hill with an unobstructed view for miles. Dawn was near, but it was still dark. It was that time of morning most people don’t see when the horizon is blue and the sky is still black. As I was gazing out the side window a large shooting star fell before me. It was one of the best I have seen. It was bright, it moved slowly, and it was colorful. My wish was simple, for the IUI we had just gone through to result in a pregnancy. That is exactly what happened. Well guess what, last night as I was driving back from a day trip to Cleveland, it was nearly 11:00PM, I was almost back to the office when something must have caught the corner of my eye. Instinctively my head turned and I caught a glimpse of the end of shooting star. Drowning out the conversations in the car, I made my wish. What are the odds of seeing a shooting star, let alone having it coincide with a two week wait following an IUI, TWICE? Who will believe with me?

2 comments:

MrsSpock said...

Hmmm...confirming the psychic vibes...?

Anonymous said...

I believe!!! I believe!!!

Devon :)